Monday, August 8, 2016

Editing Take 1

   Hello dear readers,

For those of you who ever had to edit anything you know the horror of painstakingly going through every single word while trying not to be the person who wrote it. You have to make sure the words flow, work together smoothly, make sense. Checking your grammar, a thousand times. Feel the need to pull out that handy dandy thesaurus and dictionary, just to be extra sure that it works and is the absolute best it can be. Now most go through this with essays from one page to ten. Yeah, my essay is 230 pages....

Then there are the authors feelings as they go through their work. One paragraph it feels is the best thing you've ever written. And then there is the other 10,000 paragraphs that SUCK. The need to rewrite everything is STRONG. Until you think about all the work that will go into it, and then the deadline date pops into your mind. That is when you really don't want to do it, the pressure the intensity of needing it being done on time! Glance at the page again and think but do I really want this to go down into the history books? Or at the very least sending it to an agent or publisher? No I want my life's work to be AMAZING I want someone in the future to read my book and sit glued to the pages for as long as it takes to finish it. And when they finish the book to look up from the book and sigh and think that was the best, most beautiful think I have ever read. And then re-read it again.

Basically I want someone to be me when it comes to Sarah J Maas 'Throne of Glass' series. I usually end up re-reading the entire series two times a year and the newest book a couple extra times especially when its two weeks after it came out. For instance, last year when 'Queen of Shadows' came out I re-read one through three beforehand. Then QoS I finished the 650 pages novel in about 14 hours. When I finished it at three in the morning, my eyes could barely stay open but I had to stay awake and read the highlights of the book. And then I could go to sleep, then I woke up and re-read it again from the beginning to end, again and again for a week. Somewhere it that time I went on to Pinterest and Goodreads (their ToG page) and rubbed it the fact that I called Rowaelin before anyone got off the Chaoleana ship.

For those of you who aren't in a YA fandom you wouldn't understand anything of what I just said and I feel sorry for you. Your missing out on so much joy and pain so much pain.

Anyway my point before I got on a roll with my obsession. What I want is for my book to touch lives. Even if that means rewriting the first 50 pages of my book.

Thanks for reading RawLitCom, True Confessions of an Aspiring Author. Comment below I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment